What are the symptoms of Diabetes in cats and dogs?
Certain symptoms are common in cats and dogs with diabetes. However these signs may also indicate other diseases or conditions. The best way to determine if your pet has diabetes is to have his blood sugar levels checked by means of a blood test.
Common symptoms of diabetes include:
- Excessive thirst
- Frequent urination
- Change in appetite
- Weight loss
- General weakness
- Recurrent urinary tract infections
- Cataracts (in dogs)
Diabetes can occur in puppies (juvenile-onset diabetes) or in adult dogs (adult onset diabetes). But in cats diabetes usually only occurs in middle-aged or older adults.
What causes diabetes?
The exact cause of diabetes is unknown. However there are certain risk factors . These include obesity, an unhealthy diet, cortisone treatments, stress and shock. Genetics may also play a role.
What is the conventional treatment?
Conventional treatment for diabetes in cats and dogs usually includes regular insulin injections and/or a strictly controlled diet.
A diet that is high in fiber and complex carbohydrates for instance, slows the digestive process and helps to stabilize blood sugar levels. In obese animals, losing weight is also advised.
How can herbal remedies and dietary supplements help?
There is a great deal of evidence to suggest that the use of carefully chosen herbal remedies and dietary supplements can help to both prevent diabetes and to keep it under control in animals who have already developed it.
Along with the correct lifestyle changes, herbal remedies and dietary supplements can reduce or eliminate the need for prescription medication and can also aid in preventing some of the tissue and organ damage associated with uncontrolled blood sugar levels.
What is GlucoBalance?
PetAlive GlucoBalance contains a specially selected combination of herbs known for their ability to improve the production and bio-availability of insulin.
Research has demonstrated that the ingredients in GlucoBalance help to regulate blood sugar levels.
GlucoBalance is an excellent supplement for the diabetic pet and will also help to reduce high cholesterol, improve immune functioning and treat and prevent the symptoms of diabetes related conditions such as eye, bladder and circulation problems.
GlucoBalance is very effective used alone, or as part of a total veterinarian treatment program.
How has GlucoBalance helped others?
“ I just wanted to let you all know that we have been very pleased with the results of your treatment for our cat. She had been ill with all sorts of ailments for some time and we were so upset when she was diagnosed with diabetes! Your support team have been wonderful in suggesting healthy diet etc and with the Glucobalance capsules we have seen a huge improvement. ”
“ Your capsules are easy to administer. We used to have to fight to get our cat to take any medication at all and I don't know who was more upset - us or her! It is easy to open your capsule and mix it with a little tuna and she takes it with no trouble at all - simple but very effective! Thank you for a great remedy for diabetes! ”
“ Our vet is very happy with us after making diet changes and using Glucobalance our dog has improved enough to receive a clean bill of health! She has just turned 10 years old and is back to her former self again that is thanks to Pet Alive! I like that you stress the health aspects and not just taking pills. Thank you for your help. We will definitely return when we need to. ”
What are the Ingredients?
Contains no animal products, gluten, artificial colors, flavors or preservatives.
Manufactured according to the highest pharmaceutical standards. Individual ingredients are well-researched and are natural, safe and effective.
- Vaccinium myrtilus (Bilberry): Research has demonstrated that Bilberry can reduce blood sugar levels in Type 11 Diabetes and can also increase insulin production. Bilberry is a very powerful anti-oxidant due to high levels of anthocyanosides, which help to prevent cell damage caused by free radicals. Regular use of Bilberry also helps to maintain healthy vision and is known to strengthen the tiny blood capillaries which carry oxygen to the eyes, It can also help with wound and tissue healing and other circulation problems associated with diabetes.
- Galega officinalis Research has suggested that the use of Galega officinalis can enlarge the Islets of Langerhans in the pancreas, which are responsible for the production on insulin. Regular use can therefore improve your pet's ability to produce insulin.
- Trigonella foenum-graecum (Fenugreek) is one of the oldest medicinal herbs and has documented use in Ancient Egyptian history and Chinese Traditional Medicine. Recent research in the West has highlighted the hypoglycemic properties of this highly versatile herbal remedy, which is also known to assist with the control of high cholesterol. Clinical trials in India suggest the the use of Fenugreek may help to reduce blood sugar and harmful fats in insulin dependent diabetics. Fenugreek also has antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties and is very beneficial as a digestive and kidney tonic, which in turn helps to prevent the urinary tract problems often associated with diabetic pets.
- Astragalus membranaceus is also known as Huang qi in Traditional Chinese Medicine. More recent research has highlighted the ability of this remedy to improve the functioning of the immune system and protect against disease. This is particularly important in the case of the diabetic pet as chronic diabetes may compromise immune functioning and make your pet prone to opportunistic illnesses. Astragalus also helps to lower blood sugar levels, accelerate wound healing, relieve fatigue, lower blood pressure and regulate water metabolism, thus preventing the bloating often associated with diabetes.
- Chromium This is a mineral supplement which has been clinically proven to improve the effectiveness of insulin and is the most easily absorbed form of chromium. It also helps in the breakdown of fats and can therefore balance cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Rice Powder (inactive ingredient)
How do I use GlucoBalance?
GlucoBalance must be used regularly for maximum effect , to improve insulin production and availability and to protect your pet against illness and the harmful effects of diabetes on the body.
It can be given alone, or in conjunction with conventional veterinarian treatment. Ask your vet to monitor your pet's progress to determine whether regular use of GlucoBalance will allow a reduction in conventional treatment.
The capsules are easy to administer to pets and may be given whole or opened and mixed with food or a treat, depending on your pet's size and preferences.
Cats and small dogs: 1/2 capsule twice daily.
Medium dogs: One capsule twice daily.
Large dogs: One to two capsules twice daily.
Caution: Safety during pregnancy and nursing has not yet been established.
How long until I see results?
Degree and speed of improvement differs from animal to animal, depending on many factors. With regular use , you should begin to notice a general improvement in health within 3 - 6 weeks - as well as a reduction in diabetes related conditions.
Remember that diabetes is best treated holistically , with medication, diet and lifestyle factors all receiving equal attention (see below for some great tips on how to help your pet)