Asthma in pets
Asthma is not just a human disease and can also affect animals, including dogs and cats. When your pet suffers an asthma attack, it is due to inflammation and spasm of the airways as well as excessive production of mucus. This leads to difficulty in breathing.
The sign that most pet owners first notice is coughing. Your pet may also develop wheezing, a whistling sound produced by air traveling through narrowed airways. This sound is usually loudest as your pet exhales. In a severe asthma attack, respiratory distress may occur. Your pet may begin breathing with difficulty through the mouth and you may notice a purple color to the tongue and gums due to a lack of oxygen reaching the blood. This indicates an emergency and your pet should receive medical attention right away.
How will I know if my pet has asthma?
Dogs and cats of any age can get asthma, but it occurs more commonly in cats and in young or middle-aged pets. Asthma is particularly common in Siamese and Himalayan cat breeds. During an episode of asthma you may notice your pet's breathing is shallow, rapid and labored. You may also notice that your cat or dog has to put a lot of effort into inhaling and exhaling and you may see the abdomen moving in and out quite dramatically.
In less severe cases, the only symptom of asthma can be a chronic cough. Especially in cats, this is often confused with hairballs. Some pets lose weight and become lethargic. However, most pets with asthma seem quite normal in between attacks.
To diagnose asthma, your vet will probably need to take a chest X-ray and possibly other tests to rule out other respiratory conditions.
What causes asthma?
Triggers for asthma in pets may include tobacco smoke, pollution, dust from litter trays, stress and cold air. Just like humans, pets may also be sensitive to certain foods, as well as food additives like preservatives and colorants. Some holistic vets believe that multiple vaccinations and commercial pet foods can compromise your pet's immune system, making him/her more susceptible to allergies, including asthma.
How is asthma usually treated?
Conventional treatment of asthma in pets usually consists of steroid drugs to reduce inflammation, antihistamines to control the allergic component of asthma and bronchodilators to open up the airways in an attack.
Though these drugs can be effective in preventing asthma attacks and for acute relief, as with most synthetic drugs, long-term side-effects and further reduction in immune system functioning are almost inevitable.
How can natural remedies help?
As in humans, a strong immune system can play a vital role in helping to control pets' symptoms of asthma and to strengthen the body's defenses against environmental triggers.
Herbal and homeopathic asthma treatment can be extremely effective in pets. Depending on the severity of the asthma, they can reduce or even eliminate the need for the synthetic drugs. Natural remedies may also be used to complement conventional treatment of asthma. Natural remedies are gently effective without the side effects or other complications that often accompany conventional drugs.
What is PetAlive AmazaPet?
PetAlive AmazaPet is a 100% natural blend of herbal and homeopathic ingredients specially selected for the treatment of asthma in pets. Presented in convenient lactose tablets, AmazaPet is easy to administer without fussing or fighting.
How has PetAlive AmazaPet helped others?
“ AmazaPet is the third remedy I've bought from PetAlive for my cat Tabby and I am pleased to report that it is just as effective as the others. PetAlive products have helped her every time without the side-effects she is so sensitive to in vet-prescribed medications. I must also comment on your wonderful customer service and prompt delivery. It is always a pleasure dealing with your company! ”
“ Both of my cats have suffered with asthma for a few years now and I had the fright of my life in March when the younger one had a near-fatal attack. I decided I needed to get their condition under control and did some research online. I found AmazaPet and was a bit nervous at first as I have never used natural remedies for my cats before. I ordered it anyway and wanted to tell you that my cats are so much better since I started giving it to them. AmazaPet really works - thank you so much, it is a real load off my mind now that they are well. ”
“ My pug has always snuffled a lot which most flat nose dogs do naturally but this was worse and worse especially in the mornings and the evenings when we went for our walks. I became very concerned when he was struggling to breathe and my vet diagnosed asthma! I am a firm believer of your remedies for people and so I figured that I would try your pet asthma remedy [AmazaPet] which has helped very much. I give my pug two tablets before every walk and he eats them straight from my hand and runs around just like he used to! Thanks very much! ”
What are the Ingredients?
Product contain no animal products, gluten, artificial colors, flavors or preservatives.
Manufactured according to the highest pharmaceutical standards. Individual ingredients are well-researched and are natural, safe and effective.
- Inula helenium (Elecampane) (Scullcap) has been used by herbalists for centuries to treat coughs, bronchitis, asthma and whooping cough. Elecampane has also been used historically to treat poor digestion and general complaints of the intestinal tract. The flowers of this herb were used in Oriental medicine, to treat all conditions producing excessive phlegm.
- Althea officinalis (Marshmallow) is an effective treatment for bronchitis, respiratory catarrh, irritating coughs and infections. This soothing herb helps to reduce all types of inflammation and will relieve dry coughs, bronchial asthma and sore throats as well as digestive complaints.
- Mag. phos. (D6) is a biochemic tissue salt used for rapid easing of a tight chest and as an antispasmodic for constricted airways. Mag. phos. is also a natural painkiller and is often used to treat cramping pains.
- Kali. mur. (D6) is another biochemic tissue salt. Kali. mur. is well-known for its mucus-decongesting properties. This soothing and anti-inflammatory remedy also prevents infections of the respiratory tract, improves liver functioning and strengthens blood and nerve tissue.
- Arsen. alb. (30C) is a homeopathic remedy effective for treating acute bronchospasm and dry throat associated with cold air in the early mornings. Arsen alb. is also useful for a variety of other conditions including inflammation of the eyes, sneezing and allergies, skin conditions and general restlessness.
- Phosphorus (30C) is a well known remedy for the respiratory conditions of asthma, bronchitis, pneumonia, tightness in chest, dry lingering coughs and deep coughs. Phosphorus is also used homeopathically to treat and prevent respiratory problems linked to stress or anxiety.
How do I use PetAlive AmazaPet?
AmazaPet is very effective in clearing the symptoms of asthma in pets and should be administered at the very first signs of respiratory problems in order to prevent or reduce the severity of an attack.
Cats and small dogs: One tablet 3 - 5 times daily.
Medium dogs: Two tablets 3 - 5 times daily.
Large dogs: Three tablets 3 - 5 times daily.
How long until I see results?
Most pets will begin responding to AmazaPet within hours. Try to begin treatment at the very first signs of respiratory difficulty in order to prevent a full blown attack. With continued use, you should notice a reduction in frequency and severity of asthma attacks in your pet.