GASTROGARD ® is the first and only FDA-approved equine medication proven to heal and prevent the recurrence of gastric ulcers, even while horses continue to train. GASTROGARD provides the effective treatment your horses deserve through convenient once-daily dosing.
GASTROGARD is a flavored paste, available in an adjustable-dose syringe. A single daily treatment for 30 days provides effective healing or improvement in 99% of horses, even while they continue training.
GASTROGARD has been developed specifically for the treatment of Equine Gastric Ulcer Syndrome (EGUS). It contains the active ingredient omeprazole; the world's leading anti-ulcer medication for humans and the #1 selling prescription drug. Omeprazole provides superior acid suppression because it effectively shuts down acid production in the stomach, giving the ulcer time to heal.* Omeprazole was the first acid pump inhibitor to be approved for use in humans, and is now the first and only acid pump inhibitor approved for the treatment of stomach ulcers in horses.
. The only FDA-approved equine medication for gastric ulcers. Unlike other ulcer remedies on the market, GASTROGARD meets the standards of the FDA to ensure consistent quality and effectiveness.
. Supported by a program of dose-confirmation trials, field trials, acceptability trials, and safety trials which were conducted to establish clinical utility.
. Proven to heal ulcers in just 4 weeks - even in horses that continue training
. Proven wide margin of safety in horses and foals as young as 1 month old
. Proven to prevent ulcer recurrence with continued administration of maintenance dose
. Convenient once-a-day dosing
. Easily administered, highly accepted, flavored paste formulation
Dosage Regimen: 4mg/kg/day (one 2.28g syringe will treat a 1250-lb horse/day). For treatment of gastric ulcers, GastroGard Paste should be administered orally once-a-day for 4 weeks at the recommended dosage of 1.8 mg/lb (4 mg/kg) body weight. For the prevention of recurrence of gastric ulcers, continue treatment for a least an additional 4 weeks by administrating at the recommended daily maintenance dose of 0.9 mg/lb (2 mg/kg).
Summary: GastroGard Oral Paste for Equine Ulcers is highly effective at healing gastric ulcers in horses and preventing their recurrence. GastroGard is well tolerated, and its high acceptance by horses results in negligible waste or underdosing. Only GastroGard offers these important and unique advantages to equine practitioners, trainers, and owners in the treatment of gastric ulcers:
- It is a highly effective inhibitor of acid secretion in horses, creating an intragastric environment in which ulcer healing can occur.
- It is proven to heal and improve ulcers and prevent their recurrence, even during training--not just alleviate their clinical signs.
- It is the only antiulcer medication for horses that elevates stomach pH throughout the 24 hours after dosing, allowing convenient once-daily dosing.
- It is the only antiulcerant that has been exhaustively investigated for efficacy and safety in equine use, and the only one approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for this indication.
- The paste formulation of GastroGard has been developed specifically for ease of administration, efficacy, and acceptability in horses.
GastroGard Oral Paste 2.28 gram Syringe: Product Currently Unavailable